Remember the great heatwave of 2018? When the UK shut down gasping for air, and no one could get off the M20 into a Eurotunnel carriage. Whatever your weather this weekend, this Strawberry Mojito mocktail is guaranteed to quench thirst, impress visitors, and give you one of your five a day. #WIN.
We’re never happy in Britain, are we? It’s too wet, it’s too cold, it’s too windy, and now it’s too hot. I for one am hoping that the heatwave is set to last (although I do have some wellies to photograph for work soon, so I may have to flood the paddling pool).
One way of keeping my kids cool is to provide them with plenty of refreshing drinks. I make them drink lots of water when it’s like this – kids dehydrate quickly, but occasionally on a hot day it’s wonderful to have something a little different.
This virgin strawberry mojito is the perfect blend of citrus tang with cool mint and luscious berry. I guarantee your kids will love it, and you could even add a tiny shot of rum for yourself!
Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
There really couldn’t be a more tempting cocktail, bursting with colour and flavour.
Zesty Strawberry Mojito, full of flavour and alcohol-free
- 1.5 limes cut into wedges
- 20 mint leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 5 very ripe strawberries puréed
- 2 tsp sugar syrup
- soda water
- crushed ice
- Put the lime wedges and mint leaves into a cocktail shaker, or sturdy glass and 'muddle' them with a cocktail muddler, or by crushing them with the end of a rolling pin
- When they're softened, pour the juice through a sieve into a tall glass of crushed ice
- Add the sugar syrup and strawberry puree
- Top up the glass with soda water and stir
- Garnish and enjoy!
A cocktail muddler is basically a wooden tool for squashing the juice out of the ingredients, ready to use in the drink, but the end of a rolling pin would do the same job. And technically, you should leave the ‘muddled’ lime and mint in the drink, but for kids it’s probably better just to strain them out.
Put your feet up, and enjoy your summer!