We learned this recipe from Francesco Mazzei as part of our experience with Slow Food Kids
Ingredients (serves 4):
100g mashed potatoes (use 2 large potatoes)
100g pumpkin mash (1 butternut squash)
100g Grana Padano 21 Months (or good quality parmesan)
100g 00 flour
Pinch of Nutmeg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon shallots
20g Sage (4 leaves)
1) Cook the potatoes and pumpkin in boiling water for 20-25 minutes, or until soft, then drain.
2) Mash well and place in a large bowl.
3) Make a well in the centre and add the egg, salt and freshly ground nutmeg, ¾ of the grated Grana Padano and flour.
4) Mix by hand to form dough, and then knead for a few minutes.
5) Cut the dough into smaller pieces.
6) Roll each piece into a cylinder and cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces.
7) Cook the gnocchi into boiling salted water.
8) When they rise to the top, remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and refresh in iced water. Drain, drizzle with olive oil and keep warm.
9) In the meantime deep fry the sage leaves in a deep fryer or in a pan with very hot oil.
10) Separately sweat the shallots and butter in a pan and then sauté the gnocchi.
11) Serve with extra Grana Padano and crispy fried sage leaf.